Digital, simple, tailored to your lifestyle

You're studying? Barmer is here for you

Are you interested in health insurance for students? Barmer is here for you – with excellent services, extra benefits and affordable contributions that are perfectly tailored to your needs.

Peace of mind when travelling – with Barmer

100 percent reimbursement of the costs for travel vaccinations: Are certain vaccinations required for your travels abroad? We cover the full cost of these, so you have more money left over to enjoy your holiday.

Free travel vaccination info hotline: The Barmer Teledoktor is on call daily from 6.00 to 24.00 to answer any questions you may have on travel vaccinations.

Additional cover for semesters abroad or travel: If you require medical assistance while overseas, it can get expensive fast. So that you have one less thing to worry about, we offer exclusive rates on additional foreign travel insurance with our health insurance partner HUK-COBURG Krankenversicherung.

Eine Frau sitzt auf einem Boot und spritzt mit Wasser

Ways you can benefit financially

Receive a payout up to 150 euros in bonus each year: The Barmer Bonus Program allows you to collect bonus points by engaging in health-promoting activities, such as joining a fitness class. You can then redeem these points directly in the app to purchase special rewards.

Optional tariffs - up to 900 euros cashback: With our elective tariff, you can be reimbursed up to 900 euros in three years if you make no or only a small  number of claims.

Learning is worthwhile - allowances for healthpromoting courses:  We contribute up to 200 euros annually towards health education courses on exercise and fitness, nutrition, relaxation and addiction. 

A young man sits at the laptop and listens to music with headphones.

Your life is digital – and so is Barmer

The Barmer-App – manage all important communication from wherever you are: Our online service centre and secure member area Meine Barmer allows you to access many of our services digitally via smartphone app or internet browser. For example, you can download your health insurance certificate for your university as well as your BAföG certificate or upload your certificate of enrolment.

Relax with the 7Mind meditation app: When everything starts becoming a bit too much, 7Mind helps you to keep your cool. Barmer members have 12 months exclusive free access to the mindfulness training.

Rest well with our sleeping aid: You can study better when you‘re well rested. Our Alexa Skill or GoogleHome Action Schlafenszeit (Bedtime) is the ideal way to relax.

A young man at the office sitting at his desk looking into the camera

Checklist for students

Planning to study in Germany? For international students, Germany offers a top education and many exciting experiences. Check out our step-by-step guide on what to organize before and after you arrive.

Checklist for students

Your perfect start in Germany

Watch our video with Amit Narayan. You will get the most important tips for your fist time in Germany.

Get insured now. It’s fast and easy.

Frequently asked questions for students

Yes. Students under 30 years of age who study at a state-approved university or college in Germany are subject to mandatory public health insurance and long-term care insurance. In some cases, an exemption is possible, but you’ll need to think carefully about the consequences before making your decision. It’s always best to contact Barmer directly for further advice on this important topic.
No. Once you begin your course of studies, you cannot change between public and private health insurances. Your decision is binding for the duration of your course.

For students in Germany, it’s not possible to get public health insurance alone – long-term care insurance is mandatory as well, and both contributions are combined. All students pay the same reduced rate for these insurances.

Students are required to pay a monthly contribution of €128,38 (under the age of 23 without children) or €133.25 (from the age of 23 without children). Students with children receive a reduction on their long-term care contribution rate of 0.25% per child (from two to five children under the age of 25).

Health insurance:Long-term care insurance: Additional individual contribution rate
€82.99€27.61* respectively €32.48**17,78

* under the age of 23 without children
** from the age of 23 without children

Via direct debit each month. In most cases, Barmer books the contributions directly from your bank account. The payment is always due on the 15th of the following month. For example, your contributions for October will be debited from your bank account on the 15th of November. You’ll need to give Barmer the authorization to debit the contributions from your account with a signed SEPA direct debit mandate.

Health insurance contribution for students in Germany

Yes. As a student, you can work alongside your studies – but there are various restrictions. The underlying rule is that your main occupation remains that of a student.

Students from the EU/EEA can be employed alongside their studies – as either a “working student” (Werkstudent) or in a so-called “Mini-Job”. Working students can generally work up to 20 hours a week on average. It’s possible to work more than 20 hours a week during weekends and study breaks, but only for a maximum of 26 weeks per year. It doesn’t matter how much money you earn as a working student, as long as the time restrictions are maintained. If your work time exceeds these limits, your main occupation is no longer a student – and you’ll be insured as an employee.

When you start working alongside your studies, you’ll need to take out mandatory student health insurance with a German health insurance provider like Barmer. As soon as you plan to start your job, please contact us so that we can provide you with all the necessary documents.

Non-EU/EEA students can be employed alongside their studies – as either a “working student” (Werkstudent) or in a so-called “Mini-Job” – if the residence permit allows for this. When you apply for a residence permit, speak with the immigration authorities about working alongside your studies so you know exactly what work permits and time restrictions apply to you. 

Yes. You need to inform Barmer when you leave Germany permanently so we can cancel your health insurance. Please visit the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) to deregister your address and submit a copy of this document to Barmer along with a copy of your flight ticket and certificate of exmatriculation.

Articles that may also be interesting