Two young women are lying on the couch using a smarthphone
Digital, simple, tailored to your lifestyle

You are studying in Berlin and want to know more about Barmer?

Julia Melchior

No problem. My name is Julia Melchior and I'll be happy to advise you.

Contact me directly by e-mail.

You can also reach me by phone at 0800 333004 101-241 or 0151 11302835

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Ways you can benefit financially

Receive a payout of more than 100 euros in bonus each year: The Barmer Bonus Program allows you to collect bonus points by engaging in health-promoting activities, such as joining a fitness class. You can then redeem these points directly in the app to purchase special rewards.

Barmer customers work out for less: As a Barmer member, you can take advantage of exclusive deals offered by our partner fitness centres – and save a lot of money in the process.

Optional tariffs - up to 100 euros cashback annually: With our Pro Fit elective tariff, you can be reimbursed up to 100 euros each year if you make no or only a small  number of claims.

Learning is worthwhile - allowances for healthpromoting courses:  We contribute up to 200 euros annually towards health education courses on exercise and fitness, nutrition, relaxation and addiction. 

6 steps for a perfect start as student

There are only a few things that are absolutely indispensable when you‘re new in Germany as a student. We walk you through them step by step and tell you where to go to get what you need.

Step 1: Your health insurance

First of all, you need to be registered with a German health insurance provider. This is necessary because you require valid health insurance for enrolment at university and for a visa from the “Ausländerbehörde” (foreigners‘ registration office). We recommend getting in touch with your Barmer contact person to make the application process as fast and as convenient as possible.

Step 2: Your tax ID number

During your first registration at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Residents registration office), a notification is automatically sent to the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern (Federal Central Tax Office). Your steuerliche Identifikationsnummer (Tax ID Number) is then issued and sent via standard post to your registered address, usually within 2 weeks. The Tax ID Number never changes and is required when you open a German bank account or start working.

Step 3: Your enrolment

Only when you have registered with a German health insurance provider, are you allowed to enrol at university. Therefore, it is essential to take out health insurance before enrolment. Our confirmation of membership is accepted at all universities in Germany. When you receive your confirmation of enrolment at university, you have to send a copy of this document to your health insurance provider. 

Step 4: Appointment with the foreigners' office

For non-EU citizens: To receive your residence permit from the Ausländerbehörde (foreigners‘ registration office), you will need to provide, among other things, confirmation of enrolment at university, confirmation of health insurance, and confirmation of address registration.

Step 5: Your social security number

Are you considering a side job during your studies? The HR office of your employer will need a German social security number (Rentenversicherungsnummner or RVNR) in order to pay your wage. Barmer will apply for that number on your behalf, and you will receive it within a few days.

Step 6: Your bank account

Last but not least, you‘ll need to open a current account with a German bank. To do this, you will also need your confirmation of address registration and tax ID number. It‘s a good idea to compare offers first, as some banks don‘t charge account maintenance fees for current accounts. 

Watch our video with Amit Narayan

Not a member yet?

Join Barmer now and enjoy the benefits of insuring with us.

Become a member now


Simply call our English Service Hotline

members within Germany
0800 333 0060

members outside Germany
+49 202 568 333 0060

interested persons within Germany
0800 333004 996666

interested persons outside Germany
+49 202 568 996666

Barmer Chat

Chat for interested persons

I am not a customer of Barmer but I am interested in membership.

Chat for interested persons

Chat for customers

Take advantage of our data protection secure consultation.

Chat for members (only German)


Write an email

members to

interested persons to

Webcode: e020046
To top